The Trinamool Congress parliamentary delegation comprising Mahua Moitra and Yashwant Sinha met with the Election Commission of India in West Bengal on Friday to discuss issues of free and fair voting, news agency ANI reported.
Saugat Roy, MD Nadimul Haque and Pratima Mondal will also be part of the TMC delegation.
1. The meeting will discuss how to ensure free and fair elections in an election-free state. It will be held at 12 noon in Delhi.
2. Former NDA leader Yashwant Sinha, who recently joined TMC and was appointed the vice-president of the Mamata Banerjee-led party before the assembly elections, will be part of the delegation.
3. The meeting was held amid speculation about ‘politics’ over elections after several incidents of violence as a result of alleged security lapses, when the leaders campaigned
4. The convoy of BJP chief JP Nadda was attacked in South 24-Parganas district of West Bengal in December last year when he was on a state visit. Last week, TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee said she was ‘attacked’ after filing her nomination from Nandigram. While both these incidents were being seen as the result of security lapses, the leaders have alleged ‘political conspiracy’.
5. The elections to the 294-member state assembly will be held in eight phases from March 27 to April 29. Votes will be counted on 2 May. While the BJP is campaigning to end the 10-year rule of TMC in the state. , Mamta Banerjee wants to retain power for her third consecutive term.