World

Myanmar: Security forces once again protested against last month’s military takeover with deadly force

In Myanmar, security forces once again protested against last month’s military takeover with deadly force, firing ammunition at protesters and killing at least four people.

Three deaths occurred in Mandla, the country’s second largest city, and in a town in south-central Myanmar. There were several reports on social media of the deaths, with photographs of the dead and injured at both locations.

Myanmar’s independent United Nations human rights expert Tom Andrews said on Thursday that “credible reports” indicate that security forces in the Southeast Asian nation have killed at least 70 people so far, and that rising crimes against humanity The evidence was cited because the military excluded the elected. Aung San Suu Kyi’s government.

The report on social media also said that three people were shot dead on Friday night in Myanmar’s largest city of Yangon, where townspeople have been avoiding since 8 pm for the past one week. Curfew to get out on the streets.

Two people were killed in a firefight in Thaketa township of Yangon, where a protest was held outside a police station. A mob gathered to demand the release of the three youths, who were seized from their house on Friday night. The photographs said the bodies of the two dead protesters were posted online. Other information came from the shooting of a 19-year-old man in Holting Township on Friday night.

The nighttime protests may reflect a more aggressive approach to self-defense that has been advocated by some protesters. Police were aggressively patrolling residential neighborhoods at night, firing in the air and installing stun grenades in an attempt to intimidate. They are also carrying out targeted raids, taking people with least resistance from their homes. In at least two known cases, those in custody died within hours of being taken into custody.

Another possible sign of increased resistance surfaced on Saturday, with pictures posted online of a railway bridge stating that the explosives had been damaged by the charge.

The bridge was described in several accounts on a rail line from Mandalay to Mandalay, the capital of the northern state of Kachin. The photos show damage to a solid support part.

No one claimed responsibility for the action, but it could serve a two-pronged purpose.

This can be seen as support for a nationwide strike by state railway employees, who are part of the civil disobedience movement against the coup.

Simultaneously, this could be done with the aim of hindering the ability of the junta to consolidate its troops in Kanchin, a state whose inhabitants have long been with the central government. The Kachin ethnic minority is an area of ​​its own trained and equipped guerrilla force, and there is resentment over the killing of anti-coup protesters of the security forces there.

The possibility of sabotage has been openly discussed by some protesters who warned that they could blow up a pipeline supplying natural gas to China. They see China as being the main proponent of the junta, even though Beijing has been mildly critical of the coup in its public comments.

In Washington on Friday, the Biden administration announced it was offering temporary legal residency to the people of Myanmar citing military takeover and lethal force against civilians.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said the designation of temporary protected status for the people of Myanmar would last for 18 months. Offer of temporary legal residency already applies to people in the United States. Mayorkas said in a statement that the deteriorating conditions in Myanmar would make it difficult for them to return home safely.

On 1 February, the coup years of slow progress towards democracy in Myanmar ended for five decades under strict military rule that led to international isolation and sanctions.

Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy Party returned to civil rule with a landslide electoral victory in 2015 and a huge margin of votes last year. It was instituted for a second five-year term last month but Suu Kyi and President Vin Myint and other members of the government were placed in military custody instead.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button